Hey guys! So this first edition of “Ask Khadijah” is about getting rid of dark circles. The appearance of dark circles resulting from a lack of sleep, age, genetics, or lifestyle can definitely put a damper on your beauty routine. However, not to worry as there are countless remedies both in beauty products and in your kitchen that may help. Here are a few ways to cover up and re-energize tired eyes:
1. Apply a creamy concealer that matches your skin tone. Next, top with a layer of loose powder, which helps prevent makeup from caking in creases.
2. Apply an eye cream like Clinique’s Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector. According to the Clinique website, “it’s clinically proven to visibly lighten dark circles by 30% in 12 weeks.”
1. Use sunscreen. Did you know that you’re supposed to apply sunscreen all year round–even on cloudy days? If you have dark skin under your eyes and don’t use sunscreen, the sun can darken the pigmentation around your eye area, making the dark circles worse.
2. Avoid friction near the eyes. Do you constantly rub your eyes or leave your makeup on while you sleep? You’re not alone, sometimes I do as well. But, rubbing your delicate eye area causes friction. Friction can lead the skin to darken. Likewise, makeup like mascara or eyeshadows can lead to irritation when left on overnight.
3. Use an eye cream with Retinol. Retinol helps to even out discoloration and boost collagen to reduce fine lines. One affordable eye cream is RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream .
As for kitchen remedies, if you have puffy eyes you can place cold spoons, slices of cucumbers, chilled tea bags, or even a package of frozen peas under your eyes. The cool temperatures can help to reduce swelling.
If you want to submit a question, feel free to email me!